The field of housing and interior designing never takes a break from rapid development, so you might hear about various modern home equipment every day. Likewise, faucets can be seen in different styles, materials, and sizes for the kitchen and bathroom in the market at present. Deck mount faucet is one of the common faucets that has gained popularity. But what is a deck mount faucet? If you do not have an idea regarding this faucet, we are here to provide you with a thorough explanation about it. So, you will not be confused at the store when you choose a faucet!
Deck Mount Meaning
There are some new terms in all the areas of housing due to modern technology. So, if you are wondering what the meaning of deck mount is, here is the answer. If the faucet mounts on the countertop, it means ‘deck-mount.’ With the invention of the deck mount faucet, this term was added to housing vocabulary. Apart from deck mount faucets, there are faucets mounted on the wall.
What is a Deck Mount Faucet?
In modern housing, the deck-mount faucet has become an obsession due to its aesthetic appeal. Let’s see exactly what this faucet is. As the name suggests, a deck mount faucet is a faucet that is mounted on the countertop, tub deck, or sink, not like other traditional faucets. So, a deck mount faucet adds a charming and rich look to your kitchen and bathroom since it looks like an item that has already been designed on the sink or tub.
The other thing is they come with a simple installation process since they should be attached to the countertop. Luckily, the modern vanities and sinks that are already drilled help this installation process. However, the precise configuration is determined by the number of holes, so if you want to replace a deck mount faucet, you will need a professional’s advice. There are four types of deck mount faucets – single hole, center set, widespread, and vessel, according to the holes they need on sink or tub.
You can choose deck mount faucets in various styles, shapes, and colors for both the kitchen and bathroom. Among them, some of the most demanded varieties are waterfall faucets, low arc faucets, and high spouts with different handle styles.
Different Types of Faucet Mounts
- Single Hole – If your sink or tub contains only one hole, you can go for a single-hole faucet. The installation is quite easy, and these types of faucets preciously control the volume and temperature. In case your tub consists of more than one hole, you can buy a faucet with an optional escutcheon plate.
- Center-set – Center-set faucets are suitable for a sink or tub with one to 3 holes. You will need a deck plate if you want to cover additional holes.
- Widespread – As the name indicates, the faucet and the handles are spread in this method; they stand individually on the countertop. Thus, it will need multiple holes for the installation. This is the most popular option, and it is called non-deck plate faucets too.
- Vessel – These types of faucets stand above the countertop. So first, you have to measure the height of the vessel sink basin and buy a faucet taller than that.
What is the Difference Between Deck Mount and Wall-mount?
- Configuration – As we discussed earlier, deck-mount faucets are installed on the countertop or sink, while wall-mount faucets are mounted on the wall as hanging from the wall. That is the clearest difference between them.
- Installation – Deck mount faucets need holes on the sink or countertop, and most of the time, holes are already available. If you go for wall mounting, you will need a separate wall valve as well as a spout. But some faucets come with a spout and an integrated valve. So, deck mounting is simple and straightforward, while wall mounting has some extra work.
- Maintenance – It is a bit tricky to clean around the deck mounting due to its position, and also, there is a chance to remain water or soap around the deck faucet. In contrast, wall mounting is not difficult to clean properly because it is set above the sink.
What are Deck Plates Used For?
A faucet deck plate is a separate flat plate that acts as the base for the faucet underneath it. It is a visible and common gadget in most kitchens and bathrooms. They are also called escutcheons or base plates. Normally, deck plates are used for center-set faucets because it can be helpful to cover additional holes in the sink or tub if you want to install a single deck mount faucet on a three-hole sink or tub.
Is a Faucet Deck Plate Necessary?
There are different types of mounting options, and there may be multiple holes in your tub or sink, at least up to 3 holes. Therefore, the center-set faucet needs a deck plate because you should cover the additional holes except for the hole for a single faucet.
Accordingly, the deck plate acts as a base for the faucet and gives it a clean finish. It is not necessary to use a deck plate for other mounting options, such as a single hole, widespread, or vessel mounting, since you utilize all the holes on your sink or tub then.
What to Consider When Buying Deck Faucet Mounting?
The quality of the faucet depends on the material it has been made from. Thus, it is better to go for a faucet with an all-brass body because they are durable. What’s more, consider the width of the supply line, so ¾ inches supply line would be best for a bathtub faucet while ½ inch supply line for a kitchen faucet. And despite their superior outer look, choose one that provides enough water capacity.
Another thing to consider is the overall style of your kitchen and bathroom when choosing a faucet; yes, it will be tricky because there are so many different kinds of stylish faucets for modern as well as classical interiors.
Therefore, get some advice from your interior designer. In addition, faucets come with different features, from simple to complex. For example, there are some even with soap dispensers. Hence, choose the best one considering your priorities.
You May Also Like